Friday, June 29, 2012

1 Day=9 subway trips= 4 basilicas

Today for some reason I woke up at 3:30 and was wide awake which means I just got 4 hours of sleep after being up for 34 hours. So I decided that I would eat breakfast around 7 than head to the Vatican.
Once I got there I was informed that I would not be able to go into the St.Peters Basilica till one because the Pope had a special mass for the feast day of St. Peter and St. Paul. Since it was ticket only I couldn't sneak into the line. So I decided to go check out this gift store that I really liked but for some reason it was closed. I just kept walking and I saw this nun walk into this undisclosed door and I don't know why but I decided to follow her. It turned out that it was a private chapel and a cardinal was celebrating mass!! That was by far the coolest part of my day. Even though I did not understand one word of the mass.
After mass I went to St. Paul outside the walls. This is a great church! They believe that St. Paul was killed at this site for his faith! I went to mass there too and once again I had no clue what they were saying besides his English greeting at the beginning.
Then I went back to the Vatican and got into St. Peters and climbed up to the top of the dome!! It was so sweet but it I had to do stairs the whole way and it was hot hot hot!!
After the Vatican I got back on the subway and went to St. John Lateran, this is the popes official church! Right next to that you have the holy stairs, the steps that led up to the praetorium of Pontius Pilate in Jerusalem. You can only go up them on your knees!
On my way back I stopped by Mary Major again just to see it!
Tomorrow I don't really have plans I am just going to see what happens and head to the airport to sleep since my flight leaves Rome at 6 am.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jeffrey!
    SO glad you are enjoying Rome before you get down to the serious business of your graduate course. Let me know if you need anything while you are there! Have a blast!

    Audrey Nelson

    ReplyDelete